Approximately 50,000 regional Victorians travel to Melbourne each year for medical treatment. Many rely on others to drive or accompany them to Melbourne. When assistance is not available, they risk their health by delaying their appointments or not going at all.
Travelers Aid trained volunteers meet medical travellers and accompany them by public transport to and from their appointment in central Melbourne. They assist people able to travel independently but who are unfamiliar with Melbourne, or feel anxious using public transport alone.
The service is:
- Can be booked online or by calling 1300 700 399 (2 days notice required)
- Available to regional and metropolitan travellers
- Travellers must purchase their own public transport tickets. Travelers Aid will cover the volunteer’s transport costs
- Available Monday to Friday: 8.00am – 6.00pm.
- Weekend or out-of-hours services can be requested depending on volunteer availability.
The Medical companion service is available at both Flinders Street Station and Southern Cross Station.
A buggy service is also available. The service is handy for seniors and people with disability or mobility issues who require assistance navigating Southern Cross Station.
Medical clinics can also contact the service to request information flyers and posters.