Date issued: 05 April 2019
Issued by: Dr Brett Sutton, Chief Health Officer, Victoria
Issued to: Health professionals, consumers
- Poisonous mushrooms including Death Cap mushrooms and Yellow-staining mushrooms are currently growing around Victoria.
- Extreme caution is advised when picking and consuming wild mushrooms – if in doubt, don’t consume.
- Cooking, peeling or drying these mushrooms does not remove or inactivate the poison.
- There is no home test available to distinguish safe and edible mushrooms from poisonous mushrooms.
- Mushrooms purchased from a supermarket, greengrocer or other reputable source are safe to eat.
Read the full alert: Poisonous mushrooms growing in Melbourne