Monday 14 January 2019
- There has been a case of measles who may have been infectious whilst at Box Hill Hospital between Thursday 10 January and Sunday 13 January 2019:
- Thursday 10 January: Box Hill Hospital (8.00am to 9.30pm) including lunch in the onsite café, Zouki Cafeteria
- Friday 11 January: Box Hill Hospital (8.00am to 6.30pm) including lunch in the onsite café, Zouki Cafeteria
- Saturday 12 January: Box Hill Hospital (8.00am to 9.30pm) including lunch in the onsite café, Zouki Cafeteria
- Sunday 13 January: Box Hill Hospital (8.00am to 10.00am)
- Be alert for measles in patients presenting with a fever at rash onset, particularly if they attended the above places in the 7-18 days prior to onset of illness.
- Isolate suspected cases to minimise the risk of transmission within your department/practice.
- Notify the Communicable Disease Prevention and Control Section at the Department of Health and Human Services on 1300 651 160 of suspected cases immediately.
- Take blood for measles serology in all suspected cases.
- Discuss whether to take nose and throat swabs for PCR with the department if your suspicion for measles is high. Approval is required prior to PCR testing at the reference laboratory. PCR testing for measles does not attract a Medicare rebate.
- Free measles-mumps-rubella vaccine is now available from GPs and some pharmacies for all eligible adults born during or since 1966.
Read the full alert: Further measles case in Victoria