Poisonous mushrooms growing in Victoria
Date issued: 31 March 2021
Issued by: Adjunct Clinical Professor Brett Sutton, Chief Health Officer
Issued to: Health professionals and consumers
- Poisonous mushrooms including Death Cap mushrooms and Yellow-staining mushrooms are currently growing around Victoria.
- Consuming a Death Cap mushroom may result in death.
- Unless you are an expert, do not pick and consume wild mushrooms in Victoria.
- Cooking, peeling or drying these mushrooms does not remove or inactivate the poison.
- There is no home test available to distinguish safe and edible mushrooms from poisonous mushrooms.
- Mushrooms purchased from a supermarket, greengrocer or other reputable source are safe to eat.
Read the full advisory: Poisonous mushrooms growing in Melbourne