6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
The Wonthaggi Club
The Gippsland Primary Health Network (PHN) is implementing a place-based suicide prevention approach in the Bass Coast region as part of the Victorian Government’s commitment to reducing suicide. Please see the Suicide Prevention in Bass Coast flyer for more information about this project.
We would like to hear from local Psychologists, Counsellors, Social Workers and Mental Health Workers about what you need to support a greater understanding of risk management, suicide prevention intervention strategies and patient support and management.
Questions will include:
- What resilience and community strengthening programs/initiative/resources are currently available? Where are the gaps/needs?
- What are the mental health priorities and strategies for Gippsland?
- What are some of the issues facing mental health professionals and general practice in preventing or managing suicide?
- How can you be supported to more easily identify patients in need of support and tailor a treatment plan that is right for them?
- Who are some of the high-risk groups in the Bass Coast/South Gippsland?
What we know:
- In the Bass Coast LGA, 70% of men and 100% women who died by suicide between 2009-2014 received treatment for mental ill health in the 12 months prior to their death. One half of people received treatment within 6 weeks of suicide.
- Suicidal individuals often visit primary care providers in the weeks or days before suicide, yet many do not mention their suicidal thoughts to their provider or if they do, they often don’t receive the care and support they need.
- There are many reasons for this including fear, stigma and time pressures. Many health professionals are unaware of referral points and current best practice care and treatment. Encouraging evidence-based practice and greater integration with other services is critical.
Contact Brooke Carlesso, Suicide Prevention Coordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org 0447 503 527 if you would like to know more or be involved.
Dinner will be served at this event.
Please enter information in the form below to process your registration
Download event: iCal