Measles case attending Chadstone Shopping Centre.
Click CHO-Advisory-Measles-at-Chadstone-3-January-2014.pdf for full media release from Chief Health Officer
Date issued: 3 January 2014
Issued by: Dr Rosemary Lester, Chief Health Officer, Victoria
Issued to: Health professionals
· There has been a confirmed case of measles in an individual who attended Chadstone Shopping Centre on Boxing Day – 26th December 2013 – from 11.00am to 2.00pm.
· Be alert for measles in patients presenting with a fever at rash onset, particularly if they attended Chadstone Shopping Centre on Boxing Day, 26th December 2013.
· Isolate suspected cases to minimise the risk of transmission within your department/practice.
· Notify the Communicable Disease Prevention and Control Section at the Department of Health on 1300 651 160 of suspected cases immediately.
· Take blood for measles serology in all suspected cases.
· Discuss whether to take nose and throat swabs for PCR with the Department if your suspicion for measles is high. Approval is required prior to PCR testing at the reference laboratory. PCR testing for measles does not attract a Medicare rebate.